Pageviews last month

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Haines, AK

Couple pics from yesterday that I didn't have time to download before:
A small lighthouse - we're told it's the northernmost one in the USA:
This was taken in the flower garden two days ago....stuck it in here because I don't know how to put it where it belongs.



Our ship approaching the Petersburg terminal while we waited in line to load.



June 21, 2011
Wow!  What a day we had today. Not only was it our 43rd anniversary, but it was sunny for the most part when we left Juneau on what was the most beautiful ferry ride of them all.  Mountains standing nearly straight up out of the water, snow covered and in several cases with glaciers running down toward the water.  The ferry traveled deep into a fjord where we saw several humpback whales, Killer whales, purposes, sea lions along with bald eagles, mergansers, gulls and terns. 
Dorsal fin of an Orca (Killer Whale) - it's  all I got of him: 

On the ship to Haines, AK


Now here we are near Haines at the Chilkoot State Recreation Area campground – I hear a waterfall coming down the mountain into the glacial lake right in front of us and the campground is beautiful.  We can’t believe that we camp here for $10 per night and get such scenery.  Along with the scenery our host across the street let us know there were “many” bears in the area and he warned us about not leaving any food items out.  We actually have been pretty careful about that.  BTW, these are the large Alaskan Brown Bears (Grizzlies) he is now talking about.  There is a stream running out of this lake and we’re told that every day there is a sow there with 3 cubs – we hope to see her but from the truck J.
This morning Marty told me that I was “pensive” and I had not thought about that, but I have been all day.  This morning when we had breakfast I prayed that God would show us His glory today.  I saw His glory all over – in Marty my best friend, in the scenery, and in the animals.  I am so filled with awe and gratitude.  So, yep, I was pensive, but I had so much to think about and to be grateful for.  I have always noted that being close to nature brings me closer to God.  It may not be that for everyone, but you can’t help but stand in awe when you see the scenes we are seeing….and then try to imagine the creator of all of this and how He must clap with joy when we are enjoying his creation so much.
More of the incredible scenery:

June 22, 2011
Saw a wolf this AM but couldn’t get a picture of it.  We had a beautiful drive up the Haines Hwy to the Bald Eagle preserve, but saw no eagles.  Oh well, they are flying all over the place down here.  We hope to do a couple “historical things” this afternoon – museums, etc.  We also bought a small  piece of smoked King Salmon this AM which is REALLY good.  I only have a little while on the hotspot so I’m going to quit now and also post some pics.
This is taken across the street from our campsite in Haines:

last one today - our campsite in Haines at the Chilkoot State Rec. Area - $10/night!


No comments:

Post a Comment